Saturday, May 20, 2006

DUSK

Today was the first time in several days that I have been able to take my camera out and about.  Sometimes I get so caught up in the chaos that is my life and I forget how beautiful and peaceful this same life can be for me, all it takes is a step back and open eyes.

There is something so intelligent about the piercing stare of an owl, even a baby one.  These two little guys (who really aren't that little at all!) snapped their beaks loudly a couple of times but quickly calmed down when they realized that I wasn't coming any closer (I used my zoom lens for this shot).  Although I couldn't see them, I have no doubt the parents were watching me the whole time, ready to attack at the slightest sign of a threat.

A storm loomed over head and the Canada geese were unusually quiet this evening as they paddled slowly across the still water.  I love this time of night, when the world is just beginning to wind down and relax after a busy day.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dorn, you keep getting better and better.  You did an excellent job with the owls.  The eyes just bring you right in the picture.  However, my favorite has to be the one with the geese.  There is an unquestionable serenity that exudes from this shot.  Well done.

Also, you are totally right about needing to step back from the chaos of our lives from time to time and enjoying what is all around us.  There is so much beauty that we take for granted each and every day.  It was not until I picked up a camera that I began to look for it.

Greg

Anonymous said...

I love these photos, the baby owls are so beautiful and wise-looking! We all need to stop and look around us for the beauty we have nearby. Jeannette xx

Anonymous said...

I really receiving your alerts because I know I am going to love your photos.

Betty

Anonymous said...

Nice! Nice! Nice! Love all three! Glad you got the moment to breathe!
Tess

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the swan picture is nice, but I think the owls is an almost perfect composition. I like how the two owls are centered on the vertical thirds of the picture. How the first owl appears to be staring directly at the viewer. How the second owl is almost mirroring the first, but out of focus. I absolutely love it.
-Paul
http://journals.aol.ca/plittle/AuroraWalkingVacation/

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention how the fact that the owls are not perfectly straight up and down, they look like they are leaning forward slightly, gives the picture an aspect of barely contained action. It gives a static form a sense of the dynamic.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous...all of them.   Love the swans the most!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Ooooo, I love the owls the best.  I love owls!

Blessings!~
Susan

Anonymous said...

Wow... gorgeous... you have an amazing eye...

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy the owls and the bee is a good photo also.    The geese silhouette's make the photo with the blue rippling water.   mark

Anonymous said...

Ugh ... I sooooooooo envy you!  Fantastic shots sis, but I expected NO LESS.  Hugs to all.  Redbird

Anonymous said...

I can't say it enough times... i am sooo envious of your surrounding area where you live.. sigh.

Anonymous said...

Looking for your reflection photo, I treated my eyes to these awesome shots.  You are really good!

Tammy
Daily Warrior

Anonymous said...

OWLS they are fabulous but the geese on the pond just take my breath away FANTASTIC PIX... Helen Ps if you have time give helenssnapshots a little visit
http://journals.aol.co.uk/rickardfoghorn/helenssnapshots

Followers