Sunday, September 5, 2004

TIPI

I've always been facinated by tipis and now that I live in the western part of the country its not unusual to see them set up along the roadside and at the many Native American and Western exhibitions throughout the year.

A tipi points to the sky from behind a fur trader's wall tent at the Rocky Mountain College Rendezvous in Colorado, August 2003.

 

 

 

This tipi was spotted in California during our vacation this past summer.

 

 

 

 

 

 

This tipi was set by primitive mountainmen at the 2004 Colorado Springs Muzzleloaders Assoc.  Annual Memorial Day Shoot.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Another tipi from the Memorial Day Shoot.  Primitive campers may not use any modern equipment or materials in their camp and try to be as period correct as possible.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know i like photo journals...lol Great pics!

Anonymous said...

tipis are not something we see around these parts......beautiful photos.....I've been to Colorado once to see the RedHotChiliPeppers in concert......but didn't have time for much sightseeing.....would love to go back someday.......so much different than all the congestion and suburbia of the jersey shore!

~jerseygirl

Anonymous said...

OH DORN, I AM SO GLAD I GOT TO SEE THESE PICTURES. MY MOTHER AND HER FAMILY ARE NATIVE AMERICAN AND EVEN THOUGH I LIVED IN COLORADO WHEN I WAS YOUNG, AND STILL HAVE FAMILY THERE, I NEVER SAW ANYTHING LIKE THIS. MAYBE BECAUSE I WAS SO YOUNG.......
THANKS FOR SHARING WITH US. THESE ARE GREAT PHOTOGRAPHS.
KIM.

Anonymous said...

We don't have anything like this around my area -- awesome shots, Dorn.  I didn't know you had a photo journal...glad you pointed the way.  gonna look through the rest of 'em.  

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos! They are very fascinating! god bless, Beckie

Anonymous said...

Coooooool!
We used to build our own when I was little and camp out in them. They weren't as nice as these.

Lahoma

Anonymous said...

We are also period campers when we go to re-enactments

Followers