Monday, June 12, 2006

WESTERN TIGER SWALLOWTAIL, Part II

Up until a couple of weeks ago I had never heard of, let alone seen a Western Tiger Swallowtail.  Now they flutter about every where I go.  I wanted to post this shot close enough to my other swallowtail to make a comparison.  The butterfly I found today at the pond had more distinct patterns and much more brilliant color.  I'm thinking it might be a male.  Neither of the butterflies showed concern by my presence, unlike their skittish Monarch cousins.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dorn, what a beautiful specimen.  I'll have to watch in my neck of the woods.  We are only about, what, 75 miles north of you?  I'll let you know.  It would help if the deer hadn't eaten all of my flowers!  David

Anonymous said...

He's a beauty! It's so hard to get butterfly shots, I find they take off so quickly, that's if they ever land for you in the first place. In the last couple of days I've posted a couple of butterfly pics. A Painted Lady and a Chalkland Blue, the Chalkland Blue had the cheek to land on my nose when I tried to take a pic! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels

Anonymous said...

How wonderful he posed for you.  I always manage to scare them off.  I love the detail around the tail...if that is what that posterior section is indeed called.

Greg

Anonymous said...

Good colors! and DOF! Congrats on the capture.
Tess

Followers