Monday, June 12, 2006

WILD FLOWER SAMPLER

If I did my homework right, these petite little blossoms are mountain blue bells.  Never mind that my reference book was found in the tourist section at the local department store.

These delicate flowers ironically belong to the prickly pear cactus.  I have tried to avoid cactus at all cost since my unfortunate mishap last summer... but could not resist these beautiful blooms.  (read my cactus story here: CAN YOU SAY 'KLUTZ'? )

Cholla cactus is another thorn in my side... literally, but their flowers are beautiful as well.   Initially I approached the plant to get a picture of the flower, but at closer inspection I discovered that the center of the blossom was crawling with beetles.  I counted at least 20 insects of probably about 6 different species.  Too cool!  Creep, but cool!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are beautiful as well as the butterfly was. Helen

Anonymous said...

Oh I love searching for Wildflowers. Very pretty pictures.

Betty

Anonymous said...

I love taking pics of flowers, the cactus flowers are so pretty! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels

Anonymous said...

These are great Dorn!!  They are certainly lovely flowers.

Greg

Anonymous said...

I love cacti, nothing prettier than a desert in bloom! Nice shots!
Tess

Followers