Sunday, August 14, 2005

ELK HERD, Fort Carson Colorado

Fort Carson has always had elk roaming the down-range area of the Army base, but recent drought conditions had forced the herds to relocate in search of better water supplies.  The break in the drought is slowly seeing a return in the numbers of elk.  This herd of about 40 joined up with another herd shortly after this picture was taken to form a herd of about 100 animals.  It was a beautiful sight after their absence the past couple of years.

Even more promising was the number of calves that were with the herds.  Almost every adult female had at least one calf by her side.

I feel I should mention that as a hunter, I shall be hunting elk this fall.   That I should choose to kill an animal to feed my family does not depreciate my love for nature.   If anything it has made me more aware and appreciative of the wilderness around me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had the return and got to see them! Are those Yearling racks?
Tess

Anonymous said...

VERY BEAUTIFUL

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I understand the need to hunt to eat. Never had to hunt exactly, but for many years I reared our own meat. Pigs, orphaned lambs, poultry of every decription and rabbits. Many a road kill pheasant has finished up in  my oven.
Sylvia
http://journals.co.uk/sylviam4000/JottingsfromtheSticks/

Anonymous said...

Yuor pics are AWESOME....Who says you gotta go to school to become a professional photographer?....lol...NO ONE....Great Blog....

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful photos of Elk.   The nation is being overrun by deer, not enough hunting to thin the population.   They feed on my apple trees, but I can never get the camera in time.  Had a bad experience on the highway two months back with a full grown deer into my windshield.     mark

Anonymous said...

Dorn, That first picture looks like it should hang over someones couch or fireplace. Very nice composition!
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

I always enjoyed watching the elk while we lived in Colorado.  My husband and his brothers went on a huge hunt once a year.  Sometimes, they got elk, sometimes they did not, but when they did, it was WONDERFUL!!!  I like elk a whole lot better than deer!!!!  Great photos!

http://journals.aol.com/rjet33/CountryLivingSouthernStyle

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed looking at your beautiful photo's!

Thank you for sharing and Congrats for being a pick this week.

Mary Louise

http://journals.aol.com/mlrhjeh/MARYLOUISESPHOTOSHOOT/

http://journals.aol.com/mlrhjeh/WatchingMySisterDisappear

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am Monica...I came across your journal today and I love all of your pictures. You have done a great job. I love taking pictures and looking at them as well. My camera is an older Kodak but I love it and I am not a very good photographer but I still enjoy taking pictures and learning as I go.

Followers