Sunday, August 7, 2005

LEAVES, FLOWERS AND KACHINAS

The only thing fresher than green leaves is wet green leaves.  Summer rains have been generous this year.

I have to satisfy my enjoyment of flowers away from my home being as my gardening skills are quite lacking.  This floral arrangement adorned the head table at a recent wedding.

Evidence of my husband's Hopi heritage is all over my house.  This is just a small sampling of our collection.  Most of the baskets, pottery and kachinas were given as gifts.  Some are quite old while others are contemporary and were crafted by a new generation of artists.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

All lovely photos.  I'm a collector of all sort of things, it's fun displaying around the house.
Betty

Anonymous said...

Your photo's are so lovely. thanks for sharing.
Sylvia

Anonymous said...

LOL, I'm not Native American and I didn't decorate in So West but my collections resemble your hubby's. Thanks for sharing his!
Tess

Anonymous said...

I did not know what "kachinas" is/was/are but from the picture, my guess is it is the Hopi word for bling-bling?

Great pictures as always, Dorn!

Chris
http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/Inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings
http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/MyJournalJarSaturdaySixetcanswer

Anonymous said...

You have such a talent, Dorn!!!  I have a Cherokee Heritage myself.  My grandfather was full-blooded!!! :)  Guess that is where my brown eyes come from.
GREAT photos!  I would expect nothing less from you. :)

http://aol.journals.com/rjet33/CountryLivingSouthernStyle/

Anonymous said...

Hi~Gorgeous photos as usual! Love the Hopi collection. Blessings, Sassy;-)
http://journals.aol.com/SassyDee50/SassysWORD

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed all photos.  The Hopi collection is wonderful beyond words.  mark

Anonymous said...

Love the Hopi items ... they're perty.  I know how it can be frowned upon when us nearly completely americanized white folk claim their ancestry having native american roots so I will simply leave it at that.  Great photos.

Followers