Wednesday, May 4, 2005

RAINY DAY AT THE POND

I'm used to sharing the pond with many other hikers and their dogs, cyclists and cross country trainers but this was the first time I'd seen a horseback rider.

I didn't get to stay at the pond long today because the rain clouds were already moving in over head when I arrived.

I waited until the very last minute to leave and I'm glad that I did because I was finally able to get a shot of my little friend the belted kingfisher (thank you again masterplumber). 

And wouldn't you know, as soon as I spot the king fisher, this great blue heron flys in for a snack so I was swiveling from one side to the other trying to get pictures of both birds.  Unfortunately the heron was ultra shy and wasn't fooled when I tried to hide behind a tree trunk that was thinner than I was.  It took off but I was still able to get a couple of pictures through the trees before then.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bravo!!!!! WONDERFUL PHOTOS!
~Julie~:http//journals.aol.com/joolsinwa/randommusingsofmymind

Anonymous said...

I'M ON MY WAY OUT THERE. HOPE I CAN SEE WHAT I'VE SEEN IN YOUR PICTURE. THANKS.

Anonymous said...

They are lovely pics.  You finally got your kingfisher!  :-)   Sandra xxx

Anonymous said...

Dorn...I am just moved by the photos here today!  Such expression captured with the animals and the composition is outstanding!  Keep sharing your beautiful work!  Lisa

Anonymous said...

I have many pictures of the wildlife in Colorado.  That is one of the things I loved the most about Colorado.  When we lived in our townhome in Palmer Lake, a bear came down off the mountain not 500 feet from my back door!!!!  Sure wish I had had my camera outside with me that day!!!! :(  We figured he came down in search of water because of the drought, as there was a creek nearby and that is exactly the direction he headed in.

http://journals.aol.com/Smjr43/Colorado

Followers