Sunday, April 17, 2005

THE COTTONWOOD

Today was spent exploring 'down range' on Fort Carson.  Along the way we came across a huge fallen cottonwood tree.  I don't know how to age a tree, but I'm sure this one had to be well over 100 years old.  It lay in the field like sunbleached dinosaur bones.  A closer look revealed that it was actually two giant trees intertwined, locked in a lovers embrace.

Rocky almost couldn't get up ontop of the fallen giant.  One wonders what could have caused such a massive tree to fall.

       

Steve stood by the fractured trunks to give a better idea of the immensity of the ancient trees.

6 comments:

mariebm56 said...

At first, I thought it was drift wood....
; )

mkolasa101 said...

Thanks for bring the size of this tree into perspective.  I am always captured by a fallen tree.  Great photos.  

Marlene-PurelyPoetry

demandnlilchit said...

Trees my favorite!!!! We do have the same "camera eye" don't we??? I have been working on a fallen willow and even though it is only connected to the ground by 10% of its root now it still lives and leaves even the mushrooms that sprouted on it's trunk before it fell in a wind storm are un damamged.....new owners bought the lot and I am sure that willow will end up as firewood soon.....my son disabled the wood chopper they left behind to save the trees! lol

swibirun said...

Impressive trees and photos!  I can imagine the trees once living, magnificent and proud.
Chris
http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/Inanethoughtsandinsaneramblings
http://journals.aol.com/swibirun/MyJournalJarSaturdaySixetcanswer

cneinhorn said...

so pretty where you live jodi!  makes me wanna go back for a visit :-)

tc01hm said...

Nice perspectives on these ancient bones!

Followers

Blog Archive